Every morning I start my day with something gross. I hear you thinking: “WHY”? I feel you… But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, right?
It is a mix of yellow and green, and the result of mixing them looks interesting. Sometimes I wander what we put ourselves through, just for that feeling of “I’m so healthy right now, beat that you superfood gurus, beachbum models and dietitians, I just had a ginger shot.” Because, you know, Selena Gomez does that too. I’m guilty of that too. Including this drink. Although I haven’t met anyone that consumes it in the way I do and it is just an easy way to get the good stuff in. Here is a small video I made about it!
Why do I consume it? Not for the taste, that became pretty obvious before. The reason I like to have it in the morning is because on an ‘empty’ stomach it is the first thing you consume in the morning, so absorption takes place without disturbances of food. I’ll eat about 15 minutes after drinking it. The ingredients? Spirulina, turmeric, ginger and coconut water! I’ll outline all positives below:
Spirulina is an Algae and known for many health benefits and disease prevention. If you’ve been following the health trends for a while already, you’ve probably already consumed it at least once as a smoothie add-on or in a capsule.
So what’s in it?
- 60% of spirulina’s weight is protein
- 10gram of spirulina is 70% of the minimum daily iron, 3 to 4 times Vit. A, B complex, D and K requirements. Especially B12 is great for vegans – and for healthy nerves and tissues.
What does it do?
- Anti Aging
- Lowers bad cholestrol
- Cancer protection/prevention
- Eases gain of muscle mass,
- Reduces muscle cramps
- Oxigenates your body and muscles,
- Restores your energy levels
- It is great for vision & eyes and sun protection mechanisms in the skin duet o the high concentration of Beta Carotene. (10x more than carrots!)
- Fortifies hair and nails
- Helps in healing of wounds or scars
- Improves your immunity level
- Improves digestion by stimulating the body to make good bacteria
- Insomnia relieve
- It detoxifies your system of pollutants, heavy metals and radiation (we’re in the digital age, right)
- Reinforces and protects your organs
- Balances the nervous system
- Improves concentration
- Improves memory (problems)
- Reduces High Blood Pressure
- Improves your restorative sleep
- Reduces the pains, cramps and other uncomfortable aspects of menstrual cycles, pregnancy and menopauze
And that’s just one component of this drink.
This yellow stuff is amazing. It actually has been used in our kitchens for a long time already, as it gives the yellow colour to for example curries. I always knew that turmeric has amazing health benefits, but I just did not find a way to consume it in the amounts that I’d prefer. So here I am just sipping it with water and spirulina. My life..
- Detoxifies the liver
- Improves digestion
- Helps people with Crohns Disease & Irratable Bowel Syndrome
- Protection/Prevention of Cancer
- Purifies the blood
- Reduces Bad Cholestrol
- Helps with ear infections
- Protection of/prevention from Alzheimers disease
- Reduces joint and cardiovascular inflammation
- Reduces joint and muscle pains
- Regenerates liver cells (alcohol lover, anyone?)
- Helps with skin diseases related to diets
- Helps with dry skin
- Helps with food poisening
Ginger is becoming a house hold staple in many of my friends homes by now. Not surprisingly, because it is super healthy and delicious! I am absolutely in love with gingertea and just add some slices to hot water. In this drink I just use the powder;). Why is ginger so good for you?
- Treats morning sickness
- Boosts digestion and metabolism
- Reduce muscle pain and soreness
- Lower your blood sugar level
- May help prevent cancer
- May improve brain function
- May improve prevent from Alzheimer’s disease
Coconut water on its own is my favorite drink, for sure. Although it is competing with cappucchino and fresh juices. Anyway, you probably agree with the nice tropical feeling it gives you when you’re sipping coconut water (preferably from an actual coconut). And then this drink is also mega healthy. #winning.
- Improves your skin
- Helps with digestion
- Your daily dosis of electrolytes: calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium and sodium.
- It contains many antioxidants which are great for really everything: from brain function to immune system improvement
- It is compatible with human blood, so a great dehydrator – especially in really extreme situations!
So how do I take this health booster?
Here’s my simple recipe, with some tips to make it actually taste quite nice:
- Stir 1/2 teaspoon each of ginger & turmeric powder and 1 teaspoon of spirulina in a glass of coconut water. Here I always am in doubt: More coconut water means a less bad taste. But more water also means that there is more to drink. Decisions…
Even better Recipe:
- Add a sweetener like honey, agave, coconut sugar and maybe a hint of cinnamon.